Monday, November 21, 2011

Chocolate Streusel Coffeecake


IMAG0576

Sadly this is not how my cake looks like LOL XD

I have made this cake to be brought back to my family gathering for Eidul Adha. This is my first attempt of this cake and I have to say that the results turns out so-so. The original recipe needs to be modified a little to suit my pallete and I don’t really like sweet so much haha (this make one wonder how I could love baking so much LOL). So, I’ll be making this cake again, definitely with modification.

So, here is the recipe:

Ingredient
(Batter)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
8 oz dairy sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 12 cup fluted ube pan.
  2. Prepare CHOCOLATE STREUSEL; set aside.
  3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; blend well on low speed of mixer. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in separate bowl; add to batter, blend well.
  4. Sprinkle 1 cup of CHOCOLATE STREUSEL into prepared pan. Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 1 1/3 cups) in pan; sprinkle with half the remaining streusel (about 1 cup). Repeat layers, ending with batter on top.
  5. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.
(Chocolate Streusel)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup chopped nut
3/4 cup Hershey’s Mini Chips Semi Sweet Chocolate
  1. Combine brown sugar, flour and butter in medium bowl until crumbly. Stir in nuts and small chocolate chip.
Source:Heshey’s Incredibly Easy Recipes

So, this is the original recipe on the book. You guys had to buy the book. It totally worth it ♥ Having that said, I want to let the cat out of the bag first. I don’t really follow the exact recipe, hah xD.
And this is what my cake looked like:

IMAG0557

The chocolate streusel is very sweet. If I were to bake this cake again, I would definitely reduce the brown sugar. There’s already chocolate chip inside and that already added to the sweetness of the cake. Maybe I would just reduce it to 2/4 cup brown sugar and see what would happen.  Oh yeah, taking the recipe from Hershey’s recipe book, of course the recipe calls for Hershey’s product. Since I’m short on money, I substituted it with mini dark chocolate chip 8D

So, following the recipe, I put exactly 1 cup of the streusel on the bottom layer but I think that was a mistake. When I inverted the cake, I found the cake was hard to cut because the streusel layer hardened. What do you expect, it is after all a layer of sugar, chips and nuts haha xD I guess to sprinkle 1 cup of streusel on the first layer was not a good idea.

The batter (white layer) is absolutely delicious. The sweetness is just right. My cousins said that it was creamy and I agree. I think that is due to the sour cream. It gave the cake a soft and creamy texture; it felt really heavenly as you sank your teeth onto it. I think we could play with the flavor a bit. I was thinking orange xD Let see if I dare to play with its flavor xD

I don’t use vanilla extracts and vanilla essence in my cake. I usually use vanilla powder which easily substitute vanilla extracts. I had my doubts about vanilla extracts and when I have my doubt, the ingredient became a mashbooh ingredient. I would later explained it in my other post but for now I had to say that using the powder instead of extracts does not affect my cake that much. Though since I live in Malaysia, I’m sure the powder I got is not pure so the vanilla powder might contain sugar in it LOL.

My conclusion is, the cake still needs a few adjustment and maybe if I’m daring enough I would be playing with different flavor for this cake. Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t xD. That’s the beauty of it xD

No comments:

Post a Comment